Inspired by the adventures recorded and reminisced through large adventure festivals in far off places, a group of rag-tag Outdoor Kansas-Loving individuals came together with the sole purpose of celebrating the available adventures right outside our backdoor along the 38 corridor, cutting right through the heart of our fair state. A fierce loyalty to the idea that adventure can be found anywhere, 38 North came about with the sole purpose of celebrating the stories, adventures, and mishaps that happen when exploring the great Kansas landscape. Born from the idea that adventure doesn't have to happen in far-off places with expensive equipment and a maxed out credit card, we are here to salute the creativity, passion, and loyal pride to the adventures happening right here, in Kansas. Join us in celebrating the pioneering spirit that resides here in Kansas, by submitting your own stories, encouraging others to adventure, and enjoying the great Kansan outdoors. Join us.
In a counter-intuitive way, one inspiration for 38N is the Banff Mountain Film Festival, which combines adventurous outdoor experiences and excellence in story-telling. IN CONTRAST, 38N emphasizes Adventure where we live, not in exotic locales. 38N seeks to encourage backyard adventures, starting from the end of your driveway or only a couple of hours away. 38N emphasizes self-support, and does not require specialized gear and financing, or outfitters and film crews.
Another inspiration for 38N is the Norwegian cultural phenomenon of Friluftsliv.
“Free-loofts-live” is loosely translated as “open air life”
- Friluftsliv embraces nature and enjoys the outdoors as a way of life
- Friluftsliv offers the possibility of recreation, rejuvenation and restoring balance among living things.
- Friluftsliv is not dependent on large expenses for traveling and equipment – you just go and get outside
- Friluftsliv includes family and friends, and is easily accessible and available to all
- Friluftsliv is not dependent on organizations; it is possible for individuals to choose their own time and place for practicing it
Meet the crazy movers and shakers behind 38 North.